The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have published a set of management standards as a guide for companies to design healthy working environments. Incorporating these elements in your company health policies and management training is a great step towards creating a culture of wellness in your organisation. These include:
● Demands – this looks at workload, work patterns and work environment
● Control – how much say the person has in the way they do their work
● Support – including encouragement, sponsorship and resources provided by the organisation, line management and colleagues
● Relationships – including promoting positive working to avoid conflict and dealing with unacceptable behaviour
● Role – people understand their role within the organisation and the organisation ensures that they do not have conflicting roles
● Change – how organisational change is managed and communicated in the workplace
Steps to Designing a Wellness Strategy
To support portfolio companies with wellbeing programmes, PEPCO partners with Jelf who are a specialist in the field. They support organisations to design tailored wellness strategies and programmes along with supporting the delivery of key private medical insurance and pensions provisions.
When discussing wellbeing with companies Jelf say they often find there is the need for external support to develop a programme that fits the business, whilst putting in the central systems and processes to allow self-management by employees and employers. Key areas they look at are:
● Data analysis to determine key requirements
● Review policies and make them relevant
● Create a strategy that suits your business
● Promote and provide easy access
● Lead by example
PEPCO have access to a dedicated team of advisers from Jelf who can support you with a review of health needs across your business, and also facilitate access to our group discounts on private medical insurance.
For further information on this or any other areas where we can help please contact Mark Russell: 0203 008 7585 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
1 Altmann R. A new vision for older workers: retain, retrain, recruit, 2015
2 Office for National Statistics
3 The Mental Health at Work Report 2017